I am a brownie lover. I am a brownie lover who has (until recently!) shied away from making vegan brownies. Why? They final results are often dry, tasteless, and crumbly.
So, when I walked into my vegan cooking class and my teacher, Liz Gary, announced the group of recipes for the day would include vegan brownies (which were also gluten-free), I knew I had to be assigned to the brownie group. We used the recipe from BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York’s Most Talked-About Bakery by Erin McKenna. This was my first time using a recipe from the BabyCakes cookbook. After making these brownies, it is high on my list to purchase!
First, we gathered the ingredients…
Including the apple sauce that would ensure the brownies were moist!
The dry ingredients went in the bowl first. I would recommend taking a moment to smell the cocoa powder! YUM!
Then add the wet ingredients.
And mix together. Looking at this picture of the vegan brownie batter is making my mouth water right now!
The only thing better than brownies? Brownies with chocolate chips!
Once the chocolate chips were mixed in, it was time to pour the batter into the pan.
Spread the batter evenly. I was happy my class made a double batch of these brownies, because I had a feeling they were going to go fast!
The brownies went in the oven, and soon aromas of baked chocolate were wafting through the kitchen. Heavenly.
The brownies were soft, moist, melt in your mouth, chocolate bombs. I’m thrilled that I have a “go to” recipe for vegan brownies. They will definitely be in my rotation for potlucks and dinner parties. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! Happy baking!
- 1 cup garbonzo/fava bean flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- ½ cup coffee
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease pan with coconut oil.
- In bowl mix together garbonzo/fava bean flour, potato starch, arrowroot, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Brownies are done when toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Serve immediately or store in airtight container.