Red, White, and Blue Vegan 4th of July Cake!
I love holidays and holiday food. But I’ve never had a really great dessert recipe for the 4th of July. Until now. Today’s post is all about Hannah Kaminsky’s red, white, and blue cake recipe from her cookbook Vegan Desserts: Sumptuous Sweets for Every Season. No one will be able to resist this raspberry cake topped with light white icing and fresh blueberries. All in all, it is the perfect summer treat.
First up is the raspberry cake. Take a bag of frozen raspberries out of the freezer and allow to thaw.
Place the raspberries in a food processor and puree.
Then it’s time to gather and combine the remaining cake ingredients.
Add the raspberry puree…
And you will end up with a beautiful (and tasty!) red batter.
Lightly grease and flour your cake pans.
And divide the batter evenly between the two pans. You can begin to bake your cakes while you make the frosting.
This frosting was easy to make and unlike any other I had made before.
For starters, you will need a saucepan! Who knew that when you combine cornstarch and non-dairy milk over heat, it takes on an entirely different texture?
As you let that the mixture in the saucepan cool, cream together the sugar and Earth Balance.
Then add the saucepan mixture to the mixer. Blend the icing for a few minutes until thoroughly combined.
NOTE: I think this is where I took a mis-step while making my cake. My frosting didn’t come together as well as I had hoped, but I only mixed the ingredients together for about 20 seconds. I suggest taking seriously Ms. Kaminsky recommended blending time of 2-3 minutes. You will likely end up with a much smoother icing than I did!
Then it’s time to make the cake!! Place one of the cakes on a plate or cake stand, add a layer of icing, and add the second cake on top.
Ice the outside of the cake and adorn with fresh blueberries in any way you wish. I loved the light, fresh flavor of this cake. Perfect for a hot summer day and a great alternative to red velvet. I also think that the recipe would be great as cupcakes! I hope this recipe makes your 4th of July brighter and happier!
- 12 ounce bag of frozen raspberries, thawed
- ½ cup plain non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup earth balance
- 1 and ⅓ cups sugar
- 2 and ¾ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1 cup earth balance
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease and flour 2 8" round pans
- Put raspberries in food processor and puree
- Mix together remaining ingredients and cream together
- Add in raspberry mixture
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans
- Bake for 24-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before frosting
- Place cornstarch and non-dairy milk into saucepan
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat
- Continue to stir until mixture is thick like a pudding
- Allow to cool before proceeding with the next step
- Cream together the sugar and earth balance
- Add in cooled pudding mixture until light and fluffy
- Frost cake and decorate with fresh blueberries