Vegan Spelt Tortillas
I’ve always been underwhelmed by tortillas. Although I love the idea of them (they are after all useful for wraps, burritos, quesadillas, and other delicious meals), they are often dry, stale, and flavorless. So I began scouring the internet looking for easy to make options. I shouldn’t have been surprised to find the winning recipe on the vegan blog, Oh She Glows. The tortillas have a light, sweet flavor and are delicious whether eaten alone or accompanied by toppings and fillings!
First, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking soda).
Then add the olive oil and hot water and mix until combined.
Form the dough into golf sized balls and flatten slightly into patties.
Roll out each patty into a thin circle (don’t worry about making it perfect!).
Lightly coat the tortilla with olive oil and place the tortilla oil side down on the skillet.
Cook each side until golden.
Stack tortillas on a plate….
And fill with delicious ingredients! If you’re like me, you won’t be able to stop making these. They just seem to go perfectly with every meal!
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup almost boiling water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl
- Add in hot water and olive oil stir. A rough dough will begin to form
- Knead dough with hands until dough is uniform
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat
- Form dough into golf sized balls and lightly coat with flour
- Roll out dough with rolling pin into thin, circular shape
- Lightly coat dough with olive oil
- Place tortilla olive oil side down on the skillet and cook for 30 to a minute (or until golden)
- Use a spatula to flip, and cook the other side of the tortilla for an additional 30 seconds (or until golden)
- Place warm tortillas on a plate
- Once, tortillas have cooled to room temperature, store in room sealed plastic bag