Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers with Cashew Sauce
I have to admit that I have had my share of traumatic experiences trying to make veggie burgers. My efforts have often yielded tasteless blobs that crumble when I try to form them into patties. These vegan sweet potato quinoa burgers, however, transcend all of the veggie burger pitfalls. They are super moist, full of flavor, and stay together beautifully.
So who is the mastermind of this awesome veggie burger recipe? Chef Marina Cook, the founder of Remedy, a San Diego based meal delivery service. Remedy delivers organic, restaurant quality meals for those using their services and happily accommodates those following special diets (like vegans!). To learn more about Remedy check out the website!!
Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers:
The first step is to prepare the red quinoa. Remember when you’re making quinoa, you want a 2:1 liquid to quinoa ratio. For more quinoa facts and tips on how to make light, fluffy quinoa click here.
While you’re making the quinoa, you can move on to cooking the sweet potatoes. I broiled mine in the oven but you could also peel and boil them. When the sweet potatoes are tender, take them out of the oven. It’s easy to peel their skin off when they’re warm.[caption id="attachment_2755" align="alignnone" width="640"]
Then mash the sweet potato with a potato masher or spoon,
And mix the quinoa and sweet potato together in a bowl.
Add in the parsley, garlic, chia seeds and…
The spices and olive oil.
Mix everything together, and you’re ready to make some veggie burger patties!
Once you have formed the patties, place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake!! While the burgers are baking, you’ll have plenty of time to prepare the cashew sauce.
Roasted Bell Pepper Cashew Sauce:
Place the soaked cashews, roasted bell peppers, lemon juice and zest, and spices in the Vitamix and blend until smooth!
You’ll end up with a smooth, creamy sauce that has a little spice to it! Place the sauce in the refrigerator until the burgers are ready to serve if you want the sauce to thicken up a bit. Be aware that that this recipe makes quite a bit of sauce. When I make it next, I think I will halve the recipe.
Add some sauce to a burger, and you’ll have a great lunch or dinner. And trust me these burgers are delicious enough to stand on their own without a bun
- SWEET POTATO BURGER:
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¾ cups parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¾ sea salt
- ground pepper to taste
- ⅕ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- CASHEW SAUCE:
- 1 cup soaked unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup roasted bell peppers
- 1 cup of water
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ tablespoon chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- SWEET POTATO BURGERS:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Broil Sweet Potatoes until soft (about 40 minutes)
- Peel off skins from sweet potatoes and mash
- Mix mashed sweet potatoes and red quinoa
- Add in garlic, parsley, olive oil, chia seeds, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin and stir well
- Form burgers and place on greased baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes and then flip and continue baking for another 10 minutes
- CASHEW SAUCE:
- Add cashews, lemon juice, roasted bell peppers, water, cumin, lemon zest, chili flakes, garlic, salt, and pepper to Vitamix.
- Blend until smooth
- Put in refrigerator until burgers are ready