Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Strawberries and rhubarb might be the most perfect food combination — the sweetness of the strawberries paired with the tart rhubarb creates sublime results. This crisp is based off of a recipe from Barbara Kingsolver’s book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
Now for the delicious crisp recipe!!
First, gather your ingredients. One of the best things about this recipe is its simplicity. Chances are, you have many of the necessary items already sitting in your kitchen!
Chop the strawberries and…
the rhubarb into small pieces.
Place the fruit in a bowl, add the agave, and combine.
Now it’s time for the topping (ie everyone’s favorite part!). Add the oats, brown sugar, spices, and non-dairy butter to a bowl…
Add the fruit layer to the pan.
Then sprinkle on the crisp’s topping. After a short time in the oven, your crisp is ready to eat!
Since finding this recipe, I have made it twice. The first time, I put the crisp in an 8 X 8 baking dish, and achieved excellent results. On my second go around, I divided the fruit and the topping mixtures into 4 ramekins and was equally as thrilled. I have a feeling this dessert will be making an appearance at my next dinner party!
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- ¼ – ½ cup agave nectar, depending on the sweetness of the berries
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ⅓ cup non-dairy butter
- Preheat oven to 350
- Slice strawberries and chop rhubarb.
- Place fruit into bowl, add agave, and stir well.
- In a separate bowl add flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and non-dairy butter and combine.
- Transfer fruit mixture to an 8 X 8 (un-greased) pan
- Sprinkle topping over fruit mixture
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown
- Enjoy immediately or allow to cool and store in an airtight container.