Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
Who doesn’t love sweet potato casserole, especially when it has a brown sugar, pecan topping? For me, this dish signifies the beginning of the holiday season. I based my recipe off of Susan Voisin’s on FatFree Vegan Kitchen:
I first assembled my ingredients…
And roughly chopped the pecans.
It was then time to roast the sweet potatoes. I poked them a few times with a fork before putting them in the oven. I start to monitor the sweet potatoes when the juices begin to bubble out of the holes made by the fork.
It’s also easy to remove the skin of the sweet potato when they’re warm. Just make sure not to burn your fingers!
I don’t have a potato masher, so I decided to use my electric mixer.
Which quickly made my sweet potatoes smooth!
I added spices, maple syrup, and some sugar.
I greased my pan with coconut oil and poured in the sweet potato mixture.
It was then time to make the top layer of the casserole.
Once the ingredients were mixed, I had a delicious looking topping!
I used my hands to sprinkle the mixture on top of the sweet potato layer.
After 45 minutes in the oven, the casserole was ready! I admit I had my first taste right when it came out of the oven.
The sweet potato casserole is easier to serve, however, once it has cooled!
- Base Layer:
- 4 roasted sweet potatoes (see below for instructions on how to roast sweet potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup Earth Balance
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Place 4 sweet potatoes on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Poke potatoes with fork several times
- Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes tender
- Remove skin from sweet potatoes
- Base layer
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 8 x 8 pan with coconut oil
- Mash sweet potatoes and mix with Earth Balance
- Mix in almond milk, orange juice, vanilla extract, sugar, maple syrup, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into greased pan.
- Mix Earth Balance, brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, and maple syrup in a bowl.
- Sprinkle topping on sweet potato base layer.
- Bake dish for 45 minutes.