I love Mexican food. It can, however, be difficult to find recipes that don’t rely heavily on cheese and meat. These vegan Sweet Potato Enchiladas from The Oh She Glows Cookbook are amazing. A home run. They are what I make when when guests are coming over. These enchiladas aren’t good for being vegan. They are just good. I also like them because they don’t take too much prep!
[caption id="attachment_3029" align="alignnone" width="640"] Vegan Sweet Potato Enchiladas[/caption]
First, place the sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water. You can start on the rest of the recipe while you’re waiting for the potatoes to cook! When the sweet potatoes are tender, take the potatoes out of the pot and peel off the skin.
[caption id="attachment_3030" align="alignnone" width="640"] Sweet Potatoes[/caption]
Chop up the onion and garlic and saute them in a pan.
[caption id="attachment_3031" align="alignnone" width="640"] Diced Onion and Garlic[/caption]
Next, add the chopped bell pepper, black beans, and mashed up sweet potatoes to the onion/garlic mix.
[caption id="attachment_3032" align="alignnone" width="640"] Vegan Sweet Potato Enchilada Fillling[/caption]
Then it’s time to add the spices and the spinach.
[caption id="attachment_3035" align="alignnone" width="640"] Vegan Sweet Potato Enchilada Filling with Spices and Spinach[/caption]
Once everything is all mixed together, start scooping the filling into the tortillas.
[caption id="attachment_3038" align="alignnone" width="640"] Filling Sweet Potato Enchiladas[/caption]
Line up the filled tortillas into a large pan.
[caption id="attachment_3039" align="alignnone" width="640"] Vegan Sweet Potato Enchiladas in Pan[/caption]
Top the enchiladas with the enchilada sauce (I used a mix of red and green enchilada sauce!).
[caption id="attachment_3056" align="alignnone" width="640"] Sweet Potato Enchiladas in Pan[/caption]
While the enchiladas are cooking, mix up the avocado cilantro lime sauce in the food processor. Drizzle on top of the enchiladas before serving.
[caption id="attachment_3042" align="alignnone" width="640"] Vegan Sweet Potato Enchilada Ready to Eat![/caption]
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 2.5 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tortillas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- SWEET POTATO ENCHILADAS:
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Place the sweet potatoes in saucepan. Add water until sweet potatoes are covered and bring water to a boil. SImmer until the sweet potatoes are soft. Drain adn set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet and sautee the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, cooked sweet potato, black beans, and spinach and cook for a few minutes
- Remove skillet from the stove and stir in ¼ cup enchilada sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Scoop the filling into the tortillas (about ¾ cup).
- Roll and tortillas and place them in the baking dish
- Spread the enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas
- Bake the enchiladas uncovered for 20-25 minutes
- AVOCADO-CILANTRO LIME SAUCE:
- Blend cilantro until minced in a food processor until minced.
- Add the avocado, lime juice, salt, garlic powder, and 3 tablespoons of water.
- Process until creamy.
- Drizzle over enchiladas before serving