Vegan Chickpea “Chicken” Salad
Some vegans say they miss eating bacon or cheeseburgers. For me, I always missed chicken salad sandwiches. After becoming vegan, I played around with seitan based vegan chicken salads but never found a truly satisfactory recipe. I should have known that I would find the answer in the The Oh She Glows Cookbook. I was flipping through the cookbook and became intrigued when I saw a chickpea based chicken salad recipe. I liked that the recipe used protein rich chickpeas instead of relying on processed fake meat as its base. The results? Let’s just say that the double batch I made didn’t last the week in my refrigerator.
First, take a can of chickpeas and strain them.
Then mash the chickpeas using a potato masher or a pestle from a mortar and pestle set.
Chop up the celery, onions, and bell pepper and add them to the bowl.
Next, stir in the vegan mayonnaise. I used Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise, but there are a number of good vegan mayonnaise substitutes available.
Then add the pickles, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the mix!
The chickpea chicken salad can be enjoyed immediately and stores well. I love toasting bread and making an open faced sandwich. I hope all chicken salad lovers out there have an opportunity to try this tasty vegan alternative!
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dill pickles, diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1.5-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- Mash chickpeas in large bowl with potato masher
- Stir in chopped celery, onions, pickles, bell pepper, garlic, and vegan mayonnaise until combined
- Stir in yellow mustard, lemon juice, salt, and ground pepper
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container in refrigerator