I’ve been having a real sweet tooth lately. Maybe that’s what happens when you’re 5 months pregnant? I have been trying to at least divert my cravings to things that are somewhat healthy. When my latest desire hit, I went to what has quickly become my favorite dessert cookbook: BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York’s Most Talked-About Bakery. Normally, I’m a chocolate person. However, there was something about the lemon/poppy seed combination that made me want to try it out. And I am GLAD I did!! I will be making this lemon poppy seed cake soon
First, it’s time to round up the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake ingredients.
Place the rice milk, apple cider vinegar, and poppy seeds in a bowl without stirring, and set the bowl aside.
Measure out and mix together the lemon poppy seed cake dry ingredients — the gluten-free flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
Then it’s time to add the wet ingredients — coconut oil, agave nectar, apple sauce, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon peel.
Finally, add in the poppy seed mixture and combine.
Grease the loaf pan (I decided to make mini loafs!) with coconut oil, and pour the batter in. My batter was runnier than other loaf and cake batter I have made in the past. But don’t worry!
My mini lemon poppy seed cake loaves turned out very well — they were super moist and a delightful contrast of sweet and tangy flavors.
I will for sure be making this lemon poppy seed cake again soon!!
- ⅔ cup rice milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, plus extra to grease loaf pan
- ¾ cup agave nectar
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- t tablespoons lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Put rice milk, apple cider vinegar, and poppy seeds in bowl. Do NOT stir and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour, the brown rice flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt
- Then add the coconut oil, agave nectar, applesauce, vanilla, lemon extract, lemon zest, and mix together.
- Stir in the rice milk, apple cider vinegar, and poppy seed mixture.
- Grease loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and cook for 35 minutes. Rotate pan in oven 180 degrees after 18 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 20 minutes. Then use a knife to run around the edge of the loaf. Gently flip the loaf pan upside down and allow loaf to fall out into your hand. Place on a plate.
- Serve immediately or wait until completely cool to store in airtight container.