I love fall food. And one of my favorite quintessential fall foods is cornbread. There’s something about the texture and the sweet corn taste that makes it irresistible. While I often purchase pieces of cornbread at my local co-op, I had never actually tried to make it myself. So I turned to one of my my BabyCakes Cookbook. I often use the Babycakes cookbook for bread recipes, because they always yield super moist
First, mix together the apple cider vinegar and the rice milk in a bowl, and set the mixture aside.
Next, it’s time to place the dry ingredients (gluten-free flour, cornmeal, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt) into a mixing bowl.
After you’ve mixed together the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl (coconut oil, agave, applesauce, and vanilla).
And mix together until combined.
Then add the buttermilk mixture into the batter. At this point I was wondering if I had done something wrong — the batter seemed to be too runny. My concern, however, ended up being unwarranted! The bread ended up cooking perfectly.
Next, place the batter in a greased loaf pan.
After it has baked, you will have a golden loaf of vegan cornbread!
I thought I would end up sharing this loaf with others. However, it turned out that my husband and I polished it off in just a few days!
- ⅔ cup rice milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup corn flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, plus more for greasing pan
- ⅓ cup agave
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Put the rice milk and the apple cider vinegar in a bowl and set aside -- this will develop into vegan "buttermilk."
- Put the gluten-free flour, cornmeal, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt into a medium bowl and mix together.
- Add the coconut oil, agave, apple sauce, and vanilla extract to the bowl and combine.
- Add the "buttermilk" mixture to the batter and combine.
- Pour the batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 32 minutes rotating the pan 180 degrees after 20 minutes.
- Allow loaf to cool for 20 minutes before serving, or allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.